FARMING INTENSIVE CERTIFICATE: Applications for our 2017-2018 Certificate Programs will open August 1. Check back for more updates soon!
STAY TUNED for details on two Info Sessions about this unique program which will be held later this summer.
In August 2016, The Youth Farm began a new partnership with Farm School NYC to offer the Farm Intensive Certificate, which launched its first cohort November 2016.
Via this partnership, highly motivated students interested in both social justice and agriculture take several of Farm School NYC’s foundational courses — Food Justice, Botany and Training of Trainers — as well as The Youth Farm’s 30 week Field Intensive (formerly known as the Urban Farm Training Program) at the 1-acre Youth Farm. The goal of the Farm Intensive Certificate is to provide students an opportunity to develop marketable organic farming skills through a blend of formal instruction and hands-on work with diverse crops. FIC students are chosen based on their interest in food justice, their ability to commit to the program, their motivation to learn, and their ability to work with others in a team setting. This Certificate places an emphasis on continuous hands-on field training throughout a full season of farming in NYC on one farm space, seed to harvest.
As a Farm Intensive Certificate student, you will gain many valuable growing skills necessary for cultivating a wide variety of vegetables and flowers appropriate to our region. You will also receive an introduction into popular education approach to teaching, which infuses both Farm School and Youth Farm programs. You will gain the invaluable experience of nurturing crops and soil day to day and gain a sense for the physical and mental energy required to run a small farming operation that produces high quality vegetables, beautiful flowers, and a rich and harmonious community space. Through Food Justice, you have opportunity to delve deep into systems of structural oppression and institutional racism and past and present actions to fight these systems and increase social and food justice.
Through this exciting marriage of Farm School NYC’s and The Youth Farm’s respected curriculum, we hope to grow new farmers well that are prepared and empowered to grow more food and increase food justice through their future endeavors.
Applications for the 2017-2018 Certificate Program will be available on August 1st, 2017.
Past Participants Say:
“This training provided me with an opportunity to learn side by side with experienced farmers.”
“There was so much opportunity for hands on work and the farmers were all very patient, kind and knowledgeable about the work.”
“I thought the schedule was a really perfect balance of feeling like you were consistently on the farm, while also being able to work on the side to support myself.”
“This program changed my life for the better and made this summer probably one of the BEST summers I have ever experienced.
“This program has provided me with a more realistic view of what it takes to be a farmer.”
Core Program Components:
- Farm School NYC Core Courses: Training of Trainers, Food Justice, and Botany
- Hands on Field Work: 7 month Field Intensive at The Youth Farm: 22 hrs/week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, April – Nov ’17
- Weekly Technical Workshops and Instructional Farm Walks
- Rotations in Propagation, Irrigation, Compost, Farm Management, Cut Flowers, CSA, and Farmers Market
- Working with Youth and Community
- Urban and Rural Field Trips
- Dream Farm Planning: A 4-part workshop series designed to support students in visioning a future farm-based project or business, combining crop planning, budget writing and creating financial projections for the project
- End-of-Season Graduate Round Table/Career Q&A
What can you do with your Certificate?
- Manage a 1 acre diversified farm
- Accept jobs as gardening coordinators at NYC schools
- Manage NYC Greenmarkets
- Launch your own urban agriculture and landscaping business
- Enhance an existing wellness and nutrition consulting business
- Work in floral design or transition your floral design business to using local, seasonal flowers
- Accept competitive rural farm apprenticeships
- Gain a broad understanding of urban farming systems and network with the brightest in the field to take your passion to the next level